Dr. Brendlinger (1918-2011) served as President of Montgomery County Community College from its founding in 1964 to until his retirement in 1981. An educator and lifelong resident of Montgomery County, Dr. Brendlinger was an early advocate for community colleges, and he led a citizen steering committee in preparing the plan that eventually established the College.
Montgomery County Community College was built on Dr. Brendlinger’s belief that education has the power to transform lives and communities. That belief–coupled with his passion, vision and leadership–has enabled the College to thrive over the past 46 years and to serve more than 200,000 students.
Even after his retirement in 1981, Dr. Brendlinger remained active in the life of the College. Until recently, he maintained an office in the Central Campus library, which was re-named The Brendlinger Library in 2004 in his honor. Read an article about the dedication in The Boyertown Times. In 2005, he published a memoir about his life and the early years of Montgomery County Community College, titled From Swamp to Blue Bell.
Before joining the College as President, Dr. Brendlinger was the Assistant Superintendent of County Schools. He also held positions as teacher and principal at several area schools, and he spent four years in service with the U.S. Army during World War II. He holds a B.S. in Education from West Chester College, an M.S. in Education from the University of Pennsylvania and an Ed.D. from Temple University.
Contributions in Dr. Brendlinger’s memory can be made to St. Luke’s Lutheran Church, PO Box 700, Frederick, PA 19435, or to the Montgomery County Community College Foundation, 340 DeKalb Pike, Blue Bell, PA 19422.